- google-blockly – A visual programming language – Blockly is a web-based, graphical programming language. Users can drag blocks together to build an application. No typing required.
- The Antivirus Era Is Over – Technology Review – Conventional security software is powerless against sophisticated attacks like Flame, but alternative approaches are only just getting started.
- Daring Fireball: Three Takeaways From Today’s WWDC Keynote – Starting with the opening gag with Siri doing stand-up comedy and continuing through to Apple’s new maps and Siri’s new features, there was an unmistakeable “Fuck you, Google” undertone to the whole keynote. Apple is forcing Google out of iOS. Even the Facebook integration feels like a “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” alliance.
I’ve said it before and will say it again: Google made a mistake by deciding to oppose rather than ally with Apple on mobile.
- In 50 years, Steve Jobs will be forgotten, Gladwell says | Technically Incorrect – CNET News – Author Malcolm Gladwell suggests that in 50 years' time people will remember the great societal contributions of Bill Gates far better than those of Steve Jobs, whom he describes as "shameless."
- First Steps with Heroku – The New-Old Boy in the Cloud – Heroku is a mature and robust cloud application platform. Although it is relatively new to Java applications, it has been offering scalable applications and databases for two years.
- Tumblr Engineering – Jetpants: a toolkit for huge MySQL topologies – Today, we’re happy to announce the open source release of Jetpants, Tumblr’s in-house toolchain for managing huge MySQL database topologies. Jetpants offers a command suite for easily cloning replicas, rebalancing shards, and performing master promotions
- 15 Things for a Ruby Beginner – The best way to learn Ruby best practices is to pair with an experienced dev; In the absence of that, here is a checklist of 15 things that I'd recommend a Ruby beginner to consider