- Guava Collections Cookbook – This cookbook article is organized into small and focused recipes and code snippets for using Guava style collections.
- Apple’s R&D up 32 percent in 2013, still dwarfed by rivals – Apple remains one of the smallest R&D spenders compared with its peers. Microsoft, for instance, spent $10.4 billion, or 13 percent of the company's revenue, on research during its 2013 fiscal year, which ran through June. There's also Google, which has spent $5.8 billion so far this year (and $9.8 billion in all of 2012), as well as Samsung, which spent around $10.5 billion on R&D last year and which is currently building a massive new facility in Silicon Valley.
- Review: Mobile Web development frameworks face off – jQuery Mobile, Sencha Touch, Kendo UI, and Intel App Framework bring a native look and feel to Web apps for mobile devices
- Mastering the building blocks of strategy – Increase your likelihood of developing effective strategies through an approach that’s thorough, action-oriented, and comfortable with debate and ambiguity.
- The art of strategy | McKinsey & Company – Examining how strategies are created, implemented, and executed is a relatively recent practice. In this video interview, McKinsey’s Chris Bradley and Angus Dawson explain how strategic thought has evolved and where it is headed.
- Cisco launches Internet of things division, eyes standardization – Cisco on Tuesday launched an Internet of things division that will focus on linking data, machines and people and the standards that go with them.
- The Economist explains itself: Is The Economist left- or right-wing? – The Economist’s political stance – We like free enterprise and tend to favour deregulation and privatisation. But we also like gay marriage, want to legalise drugs and disapprove of monarchy. So is the newspaper right-wing or left-wing?
- Webinar: Modern Component Design with Spring – YouTube – Speaker: Juergen Hoeller In recent years, the Spring Framework focuses on flexible and powerful Java-based configuration. This talk presents Spring as an annotation-oriented application framework, illustrating the rich set of features that Spring has to offer for modern component design. General component model trends will be discussed along with selected Spring feature highlights, such as standardized annotations for dependency injection, stereotypes, and declarative services such as validation and scheduling.
- Microsoft makes available its Azure-based Hadoop service – Windows Azure HDInsight is "100 percent Apache Hadoop" and builds on top of HDP. HDInsight includes full compatibility with Apache Hadoop, as well as integration with Microsoft's own business-intelligence tools, such as Excel, SQL Server and PowerBI.
- Google Search Serves Users From 600% More Locations than A Year Ago – From October 2012 to late July 2013, the number of locations serving Google’s search infrastructure increased from from a little less than 200 to a little more than 1400, and the number of ISPs grew from just over 100 to more than 850, according to the stu
- Advanced Web Applications Using Symfony with Doctrine, Postgres, and Redis – My new book, Advanced Web Applications Using Symfony, will teach you the secrets behind building, deploying, and securing an advanced web application from the ground up!
- Clojure from the ground up: welcome – This guide aims to introduce newcomers and experienced programmers alike to the beauty of functional programming, starting with the simplest building blocks of software. You’ll need a computer, basic proficiency in the command line, a text editor, and an i
Links for October 27th through October 30th