- HTML5 is done, but two groups still wrestle over Web’s future #html5 – The World Wide Web Consortium finishes an update to this seminal Internet technology, but with two organizations in charge of the same Web standard, charting the Web's future is a mess.
- We Are All Confident Idiots #psychology – The trouble with ignorance is that it feels so much like expertise. A leading researcher on the psychology of human wrongness sets us straight.
- Pivotal Extends Cloud Foundry’s Java Buildpack #paas – At Pivotal®, we’ve worked to give developers that same experience for Java apps running on Pivotal Web Services (PWS) with our Java Buildpack, released just over a year ago. PWS is Pivotal’s hosted version of Cloud Foundry®, an open-source PaaS, and we mak
- The End Of Apps As We Know Them #appstore – The experience of our primary mobile screen being a bank of app icons that lead to independent destinations is dying. And that changes what we need to design and build.
- RoboVM beckons Java 8 programmers to iOS – An interview with RoboVM project founder Niklas Therning – RoboVM beckons Java 8 programmers to iOS – An interview with RoboVM project founder Niklas Therning
- J2ObjC – A Java to iOS Objective-C translation tool and runtime. – J2ObjC is an open-source command-line tool from Google that translates Java code to Objective-C for the iOS (iPhone/iPad) platform. This tool enables Java code to be part of an iOS application's build, as no editing of the generated files is necessary
- 10,000 apps later. Lessons learned #appstore #ux – We downloaded 10,000 mobile apps this year and we’re sharing insights on how we found them, examined them, lessons we learned about building apps, and a heuristic checklist for how not to screw up your own mobile app dev.
- Building a Forex trading platform using Kafka, Storm and Cassandra – Here, he gives a high level overview of the data pipeline that he built at Insight to handle Forex data for algorithmic trading, visualization, and batch aggregation jobs.
- What Role Does Technology Play in Record Levels of Income Inequality? – The disparity between the rich and everyone else is larger than ever in the United States and increasing in much of Europe. Why?
- The Twelve-Factor App – triangulation on ideal practices for app development – In the modern era, software is commonly delivered as a service: called web apps, or software-as-a-service. The twelve-factor app is a methodology for building software-as-a-service apps
- Developers Are Adopting Java 8 In Droves – Thank lambdas! – With the release of Java 8 back in March 2014, the developer community was primarily excited about two things. One was support for lambda expressions, also known as anonymous functions. Second was Java 8’s embrace of the multicore world.
Links for October 21st through October 28th