- Brian Goetz on challenges and lessons of steering Java through major evolutionary changes #java – Programming language design is not just about type theory and grammars. For evolving a mature programming language like Java, it is about finding ways to add capabilities while maintaining compatibility, both with existing code and with the expectations an
- ExecutorService – 10 tips and tricks #java #threading – The reason I'm bringing this up is that many Java programmers still don't fully understand how ExecutorService works. There are many places to learn that, today I wanted to share few lesser known features and practices. However this article is still aimed
- A tiny networking library in #Swift – Composing functions out of functions – I think designing a library like this has a lot of benefits. We provided some base functionality, and then by composing and wrapping functions into new functions we quickly made it very specific to our app without having to put in much effort.
- Animations in Swift / iOS 8 – Part II – This tutorial looks at some more animation functions that require a little bit more setting up to create, but once mastered opens up an even larger number of possibilities.
- Prototyping Animations in Swift / iOS 8 – If you’ve ever wanted to learn enough programing to create rich prototypes and interactive or generative animations now’s a great time to begin. This tutorial will show you the basics of creating animations with Swift1.
- Design Patterns implemented in Swift – A short cheat-sheet with Xcode 6 Playground – Design Patterns implemented in Swift – A short cheat-sheet with Xcode 6 Playground
- SwiftyJSON – The better way to deal with JSON data in Swift – SwiftyJSON makes it easy to deal with JSON data in Swift.
- Nexus 6 Review: A Big, Beautiful, Cumbersome Beast #android #nexus6 – I wanted the Nexus 6 to be the next phone like that. It’s not.
- Lister – best-practice app for Apple Watch, iOS, and OS X from Apple – updated for WatchKit – Lister is a document based productivity app for iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and Apple Watch. It demonstrates Apple Watch integration; using iCloud to share content between multiple app targets and platforms; using App Groups to share local content between apps and
- API design as if humans actually mattered – This is one of my favorite papers! A lot of their decisions were made so that their service would be useful for humans, as opposed to for some technical reason. The entire reason they built a lock service instead of a library was so that it would be easy t
- How to reward skilled coders with something other than people management – The obvious answer is to put them in charge of the team they've built, especially as they're the de-facto leader of the team already. But is this what they want? Or just what they believe they're supposed to want?
Links for November 23rd through November 24th