- InfoQ: LinkedIn Signal: A Case Study for Scala, JRuby and Voldemort – This article aims to provide more insight into the motivation and technical challenges of combining Scala, JRuby and Voldemort, at such scale.
- InfoQ: Functional Languages 101: What’s All the Fuss About? – Rebecca Parsons makes an basic introduction to functional languages, explaining how to think in a functional language, why is there renewed interested in them, and some nifty things about these languages.
- The Art of Software: Mocking Frameworks: Mockito vs. EasyMock – Mockito evolved from the once popular EasyMock framework and takes the simplicity and usability of the later one step further. Mockito's syntax is more consistent and fluent and makes your code much more readable. I would highly recomment Mockito for any new project.
- Google AppEngine in Practice – I’ve also gotten a little more experience with what works and what doesn’t, so here’s a short overview of things to keep in mind when (considering) developing for Google AppEngine. It’s mostly about the Datastore.
- Announcing Amino, a new UI toolkit for Desktop Java | Java.net – Amino is a next generation graphics library and UI toolkit. Though originally built as support for Leonardo Sketch it is now it's own incubator project. Amino is an (extremely alpha) 100% open source Java library
- CHART OF THE DAY: Google Chrome Beats Firefox To Own The Tech Set – If Techmeme's readership proves to be a leading indicator for broader browsing tendencies, this could be the first sign that Firefox's run is over.
- Coding Horror: Go That Way, Really Fast – So, until further notice, we'll be following the same strategy as the Android and Chrome teams. We're going to go that way, really fast. And if something gets in our way, we'll turn.
- 500 Internal Server Error – 500 Internal Server Error
- BBC News – Change to ‘Bios’ will make for PCs that boot in seconds – New PCs could start in just seconds, thanks to an update to one of the oldest parts of desktop computers.<br />
The upgrade will spell the end for the 25-year-old PC start-up software known as Bios that initialises a machine so its operating system can get going.
- iPad for Business – Either way, it's clear that Apple is onto something here, and that the iPad has strong potential to be a useful device for the corporate world, and not just a shiny toy
- Introducing Apache Shiro – Shiro is an Apache Incubator project aimed at making authentication and authorization easier. Get to know Apache Shiro and walk through examples that let you experiment with Shiro for authentication and authorization in a Groovy web application.
- Destroy entire websites with this Asteroids bookmarklet – Have you ever visited a website and been so frustrated by the content, layout, or adverts that you’d love to destroy it? Well, now you can.