- WhiteDB is a lightweight NoSQL database library written in C, operating fully in main memory. – WhiteDB is a lightweight NoSQL database library written in C, operating fully in main memory. There is no server process. Data is read and written directly from/to shared memory, no sockets are used between WhiteDB and the application program.
- Google: Our Robot Cars Are Better Drivers Than Puny Humans | MIT Technology Review – Data gathered from Google’s self-driving Prius and Lexus cars shows that they are safer and smoother when steering themselves than when a human takes the wheel, according to the leader of Google’s autonomous-car project.
- Seagate just reinvented the disk interface using Ethernet, TCP/IP, Protocol Buffers, and key-value objects – Seagate just reinvented the disk interface using Ethernet, TCP/IP, Protocol Buffers, and key-value objects
- Microsoft Surface Pro 2 review from gdgt – With the Surface Pro 2, Microsoft hasn't changed much — it kept the study build and sharp display, adding a new kickstand and improved battery life. But, despite all it has going for it, the Surface Pro 2 is still a hybrid device that isn't going to suit everyone.
- Offline.js – Handle your users losing their internet connection like a pro – Offline.js is a library to automatically alert your users when they've lost internet connectivity, like Gmail. It captures AJAX requests which were made while the connection was down, and remakes them when it's back up, so your app reacts perfectly.
- Technology Change: The journey from .NET to Scala – There are now several dev teams at Empathica working on Scala projects. Tool chains are being developed. Coding standards are being established and enforced. Libraries are being standardized across our projects. It’s starting to return to a comfortable
- LinkedIn Intro: Doing the Impossible on iOS | LinkedIn Engineering – Similarly, Intro’s approach of proxying IMAP is a novel way of delivering software to users. It operates at the limit of what is technically possible, but it has a big advantage: we can enhance the apps you already use. Of course the idea isn’t limited to
- Webinar replay: Spring Boot – Simplifying Spring for Everyone – n this webinar Phil Webb will demonstrate how Spring Boot can take you from zero to Spring with minimal fuss. We will look at how you can rapidly prototype Spring applications using Groovy, and how Spring Configuration in Java applications can be radically
- Debian/Ubuntu extend the dominance in the Linux web server market at the expense of Red Hat/CentOS – Debian has been the most popular Linux distribution on web servers for almost two years when it took over rank #1 from CentOS. Now CentOS lost another rank to Ubuntu, giving Debian-based distributions a solid lead over the Red Hat camp.
- Linux is king *nix of the data center—but Unix may live on forever – Unix servers hit lowest market share ever, but they still have a long future.
- How a flawed deployment process led Knight to lose $172,222 a second for 45 minutes – The tale has all the hallmarks of technical debt in a huge, unmaintained, bitrotten codebase (the bug itself due to code that hadn’t been used for 8 years), and a really poor, undisciplined devops story.
- How to balance maintenance and IT innovation via @robcrussell – Many IT leaders admit their spending is too heavily weighted toward keep-the-lights-on projects. Here's how to tip the balance.
- Microsoft, the sleeping giant of the cloud – With its vast portfolio of software and billions of dollars in data center infrastructure investment, Microsoft stands poised to rule the cloud
- Learn Haskell Fast and Hard – A very short and dense tutorial for learning Haskell. – A very short and dense tutorial for learning Haskell.
Links for October 21st through October 25th