- The Tumblr Architecture Yahoo Bought for a Cool Billion Dollars – The theme at Tumblr is transition at massive scale. Transition from a LAMP stack to a somewhat bleeding edge stack. Transition from a small startup team to a fully armed and ready development team churning out new features and infrastructure.
- Apache Thrift – Scalable Cross-language Services Implementation – The Apache Thrift software framework, for scalable cross-language services development, combines a software stack with a code generation engine to build services that work efficiently and seamlessly between C++, Java, Python, PHP, Ruby, Erlang, Perl, Haske
- You are your data: The scary future of the quantified self movement | PandoDaily – As we document and share more of where we go, what we do, who we spend time with, what we eat, what we buy, how hard we exert ourselves, and so on, we create more data that companies can and will use to evaluate our worthiness – or lack thereof – for their
- Dell dumps its public cloud offerings | ITworld – Dell has become one of the first high profile companies to dump its public cloud ambitions, announcing today that it will no longer invest in its OpenStack and VMware-based cloud services
- Automated Insights – High Quality Automated Content Services – Our sophisticated artificial intelligence platform sifts through large data sets to spot interesting patterns, trends and insights, and then describes those findings in plain English with the tone, personality and variability of a human writer.
- Everything Apple Needs to Introduce at WWDC to Appease the Internet — carpeaqua by Justin Williams – With WWDC just a few weeks away, I thought it’d be beneficial to the Internet at large to compile a working list of everything that is expected of Apple during their Keynote and subsequent “State of the Union” addresses in order to appease the Internet.
- Why I left Heroku, and notes on my new AWS setup | Holovaty.com – On Friday, we migrated Soundslice from Heroku to direct use of Amazon Web Services (AWS). I'm very, very happy with this change and want to spread the word about how we did it and why you should consider it if you're in a similar position.
- Dear American Consumers: Please don’t start eating healthfully. Sincerely, the Food Industry | Guest Blog, Scientific American Blog Network – Dear Consumers: A disturbing trend has come to our attention. You, the people, are thinking more about health, and you’re starting to do something about it. This cannot continue.
- Meteor – A better way to build apps. – Meteor is an open-source platform for building top-quality web apps in a fraction of the time, whether you're an expert developer or just getting started.
- How We Built eBay’s First Node.js Application — eBay Tech Blog – For the most part, eBay runs on a Java-based tech stack. Our entire workflow centers around Java and the JVM. But we have always been open to new technologies, and Node.js has been topping the list of candidates for quite some time. This post highlights a few aspects of how we developed eBay’s first Node.js application.
- How forward-thinking developers are beating the old-guard in emerging application markets – The increasing speed of development (and developer feedback) means new technologies — witness HTML5 — are getting field-tested and absorbed into the mix more quickly, hastening the pace of relevancy.
As always, though, application development isn't abou
- Android tooling? Yes. New Android OS? No | Development tools – InfoWorld – While the Google I/O conference didn't bring Android 5.0 'Key Lime Pie,' the company did bolster app dev for Android
- Google Launches Android Studio And New Features For Developer Console based on IntelliJ IDEA – Today, during Google’s I/O developer conference, the company announced a group of tools for app developers, including a new developer suite called Android Studio. It’s an IDE based on IntelliJ.
- Salesforce’s enterprise social network adds file sharing capabilities to its mobile iOS offering – The Next Web – Salesforce.com has unveiled a new feature for its Chatter Mobile product. Called Files for Chatter Mobile, users can share files with other people right on the go using their iOS device.
- Microsoft announces Windows 8.1, a free update to Windows 8. – "Windows Blue" will be called Windows 8.1 and will be a free update to Windows 8 for consumers through the Windows Store.
- Most data isn’t “big,” and businesses are wasting money pretending it is – Big data! If you don’t have it, you better get yourself some. Your competition has it, after all. Bottom line: If your data is little, your rivals are going to kick sand in your face and steal your girlfriend.
Links for May 14th through May 21st