- A Look Inside JBoss Rules | Javalobby – JBoss Rules is the production release of the Drools project, an expert system for declarative programming based around the Rete algorithm. During this talk, Mark Proctor, the lead on JBoss Rules covered the Drools basics, as well as the new features in 4.
- The 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time : Rolling Stone – This is what makes a great rock & roll guitar sound: an irresistible riff; a solo or jam that takes you higher every time you hear it; the final power chord that pins you to the wall and makes you hit "play" again and again.
- The Business Of IT: Gartner Reveals Top 10 Technologies – The good folks over at the Gartner Group have revealed the top 10 technologies that they believe will change the world over the next four years
- David Card – No Way to Build an Operating System – MSFT has worked on WinFS for more than a decade without success in making it fast, reliable, and easy-to-use enough for release. The Longhorn "reset" in 2004 was in large part the realization that WinFS was still not ready for primetime.
- Oracle and BEA – Welcome, Dev2Dev and Arch2Arch Members – The Oracle Technology Network is happy to welcome members of the BEA Dev2Dev and Arch2Arch communities. The OTN team, which now includes some of the very same people behind those BEA communities, is hard at work merging the best of Dev2Dev and Arch2Arch
- Ozzie: Open source is greatest threat to Microsoft | Tech news blog – CNET News.com – Ozzie, speaking at Sanford C. Bernstein Strategic Decisions Conference in New York on Wednesday, said that while Google is a "tremendously strong competitor…open source was much more potentially disruptive" to Microsoft's business model.
- Ben Northrop – Does Programming to Interfaces Buy Us Anything? – In the end, I'm not saying that programming to interfaces and not implementations isn't a good thing, just that it's a good thing less often than we think – in other words, it can't just be dogmatically applied.
- O’Reilly Media | Harnessing Hibernate – More than a reference, Harnessing Hibernate starts with basic configuration before moving on to demonstrate how to use Hibernate to accomplish practical goals. "If you follow along with the examples–which is easy–you'll have a working Hibernate-based pr
- InfoQ: Top 5 Ways to Reduce Flex Application Startup Time – Jun Heider has an excellent piece on O’Reilly’s InsideRIA site discussing a number of the options for minimizing the startup time of Flex applications, in hopes of helping developers reduce the amount of time that users see the ugly "Loading" dialog.
- Akamai Releases State of the Internet Report | CenterNetworks – Akamai is out today with their first "State of the Internet" report. The report is well worth a read as it covers a variety of topics including: security, connection speeds, geography, network access, and Internet penetration.
Daily del.icio.us for May 29th through May 31st