- What Sun Should Do « Ian Skerrett – Sun’s problem is not that they don’t have good products, it is they have too many products for them to sustain. As Tim mentioned they need to focus on their strengths and that would Glassfish and MySql.
- Terrence Barr’s Blog: Thoughts on "What Sun Should Do" – quot;Every complex problem can be boiled down to a solution that#039;s simple, attractive, and easy to understand – and wrong.quot; It#039;s a tendency we fall into easily – and what I have been missing in the discussion so far is the focus on client-side technologies and products and the role they play in technology-based business models.
- InfoQ: Sun’s Future and Cloud Computing – Sun#039;s recent layoffs (which are said to be affecting people working on OpenJDK, the JCP, J2SE, and desktop Java), and also Sun#039;s recent acquisition of cloud infrastructure vendor Q-Layer, keeps alive the question of how Sun will redefine its strategic direction and choose which of its many technology possibilities it will focus upon.
- InfoQ: Struts 2.1 Released – The latest version of the Struts2 framework, version 2.1, has just been released. This release marks a significant upgrade, with changes being focused on refactoring more code into the plug-in framework, reducing XML configuration by adding a conventions plug-in, and improving REST support.
- FRONTLINE: my father, my brother, and me | PBS – quot;Parkinson#039;s arrives without fanfare,quot; journalist Dave Iverson says at the start of this week#039;s FRONTLINE broadcast. quot;You#039;re jogging at the gym one day and you happen to notice that one arm isn#039;t swinging the same as the other. In time, other signs accumulate: a leg starts to tingle, a finger begins to tremble…quot;
- New Symbol of Elite Access – E-Mail to the Chief – NYTimes.com – Mr. Obama joked about the exclusive nature of his e-mail list at the annual Alfalfa Club dinner in Washington on Saturday night. “How exclusive?” the president asked. “Everyone look at the person sitting on your left. Now look at the person sitting on your right. None of you have my e-mail address.”
- InfoQ: Presentation: REST: A Pragmatic Introduction to the Web’s Architecture – In this presentation recorded during QCon London 2008, Stefan Tilkov introduces the audience to REST seen as an architectural style. He thinks that REST is not an alternative to SOA but it can serve SOA to reach its goals. Stefan also covers other related topics: HTTP, WS-*, SOAP, CORBA, RPC, enterprise, in an attempt to make the listeners understand what REST is and what is not and how it helps.
- Eliminate Waste – The Toyota Way – Surya Suravarapu’s Blog – The first question in TPS always is what does the customer want from this process? (Both the internal customer at the next steps in the production line and the final, external customer).
- Marek Blotny: C#, ASP.NET, Silverlight …: Are you Agile? – To answer question quot;Are you Agile?quot; you have to first define the minimum criteria for being Agile, here is a list of potential candidates: self-organizing teams, incremental development in short iterations, high responsiveness to changing requirements, continuous adjustments, everyday contact with stakeholders, pair programing, TDD, (automated) testing and so on
- 24/7 Wall St.: SP Endorses Linux, Raising Red Hat (RHT) – But Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT) was just raised by Standard amp; Poor#039;s ratings today. You might even wonder if Samp;P is almost endorsing Linux after all these years after you look through the notes
- Developing and Deploying Java applications – Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud « HostedFTP.com – Developing and Deploying Java applications on the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud.
- Headius: My Favorite Hotspot JVM Flags – Here#039;s a short list of my favorite JVM switches (note these are Hotspot/OpenJDK/SunJDK switches, and may or may not work on yours
- Intel releases Linux-based Moblin 2 Alpha for Netbooks – Ars Technica – The first alpha release of Intel#039;s Linux-based Moblin 2 platform is now available for download. It#039;s designed to work on Atom-based netbook devices and it offers fast boot times and a unique Internet connection manager.
Daily del.icio.us for January 28th through February 3rd