- Service Oriented Architecture at Square | Architects Zone – SOA is hard. Learn how Square is approaching this problem today with JRuby and where we hope to be in the future. We'll go from git init to cap deploy, covering Square's approach to testing and service isolation, dependency management, API documentation, code quality metrics, data seeding, schema versioning, logging, exception handling, security and password management, deployment and more.
- Announcing MoSQL – a MongoDB → PostgreSQL streaming replication – Today, we are releasing MoSQL, a tool Stripe developed for live-replicating data from a MongoDB database into a PostgreSQL database. With MoSQL, you can run applications against a MongoDB database, but also maintain a live-updated mirror of your data in Po
- Free Sencha Touch and Ext JS 4 Training Tutorials – Teach Yourself Sencha Complete with Sencha Architect is a self-study course designed to introduce you to the basic concepts of building cross-browser compatible mobile and desktop apps using technologies from Sencha, Inc.
- Why Amazon Is Special and Apple Is Not—in 1 Paragraph – Derek Thompson – The Atlantic – A week ago, Apple announced the most profitable quarter in the history of the company and the stock plunged 12 percent. A few days later, Amazon announced a 45 percent annual fall in profits, and its stock went up. What the what?
- Java language designer Daniel Smith describes the forthcoming enhancements in Java 8 as "dramatic and necessary" – In this article we discuss the new language features coming in Java 8, as well as the most important enhancements to the standard libraries, specifically the new Stream interface.
- One-third of Europe’s software industry is SAP | ZDNet – Germany accounts for over 48 percent of Europe's software revenue, according to the Truffle list, bringing in €18.1bn of the continent's €37.2bn software revenues last year. However, SAP remains Europe's 100lb gorilla, accounting for €14bn of software reve
- A crazier prediction: iPhone Plus is real, and huge – Marco.org – The recently rumored, larger-screened “iPhone Math”, or more likely “iPhone Plus”, is plausible as an additional model (not a replacement) alongside the 4” iPhone. And there’s a good chance that it would have a 4.94”, 16:9 screen.
- Egghead IO: 26 AngularJS Tutorial Videos – Egghead Videos aims to provide the best experience for teaching with video tutorials on the web. For starters, there are 26 videos on AngularJS.
- Going Async – Practical Patterns for Push-enabled Applications – Jeremy Grelle demoes patterns for building desktop or mobile applications leveraging WebSockets and Push-to-Device services with SockJS, RabbitMQ and Spring.
- Building Google Cloud Storage – Nathan Herring presents the available storage options at Google, the ideal characteristics of a storage service, and the actual implementation of Google Cloud Storage.
Links for February 1st through February 5th