- Cloud.com | The Power Behind Your Cloud – The Cloud.com CloudStack is a comprehensive, open source software solution that accelerates the deployment, management, and configuration of multi-tier and multi-tenant infrastructure cloud services by enterprises and service providers.
- Oracle one-ups VMware with Java virtualization – Gained with Oracle's acquisition of BEA Systems, the new Oracle WebLogic Suite Virtualization Option combines the venerable WebLogic Server with the OS-free JRockit Virtual Edition technology. It also includes the new Oracle Virtual Assembly Builder, for identifying and converting existing WebLogic workloads into collections of virtual appliances, or "assemblies."
- Android to Apple: Flash works great, just watch this video | DVICE – Google has an update coming for its devices in Android 2.2 that should be unveiled around May 19th, and Ryan Stewart, an "evangelist for Adobe," took it for a spin to show off some Flash goodies.
- Google, Verizon in Talks About a Rival to Apple’s iPad – Bloomberg – Google Inc. is in talks with Verizon Wireless to develop a tablet computer that would compete with Apple Inc.’s hit iPad. The tablet will run on Google’s Android operating system
- Mozilla’s Plans for Firefox 4: Faster, Sleeker Interface & Better Privacy Controls – Firefox 4 will feature a renewed emphasis on speed. Current projects like JägerMonkey will form the basis of these projects to make Firefox faster
- Fragmenting Linux is not the way to beat Apple | The Open Road – CNET News – In an attempt to copycat Apple's hardware-plus-software vertical approach to the mobile market, the Linux industry is fragmenting fast and risks undermining its best chance for beating the iPhone.
- Chrome for Open Source Software: Virtualized Java is the Real Deal – VMWare's acquisition of SpringSource has flung the virtualize Java door wide open. And, the biggest challenge we face is not technical. We need cross pollination of Java and virtualization talent.
- VMware Acquires Gemstone in Deal To Fortify New Java Platform with Salesforce.com – ReadWriteCloud – VMware is acquiring Gemstone, a Beaverton, Or.-based company that develops real-time caching and distributed database technologies that serves as an in-memory data fabric for masive data processing and transaction environments
- What iPads Did To My Family – Chuck’s Blog – I now have this strange love/hate relationship with Apple. And I think it won't be long before I'm forced to make another trip back to the Apple store.
- Netflix migrating more infrastructure to Amazon Web Services | ZDNet – According to Amazon, Netflix, which has been using the e-commerce giant’s Web services for a year, will expand its usage and migrate more of its infrastructure to the cloud.
Daily del.icio.us for May 7th through May 11th