- GOP Presidential candidates talk about science is like listening to children talk about sex – Listening to GOP Presidential candidates talk about science is like listening to children talk about sex: They know it exists, they have strong opinions about what it might mean, but they don't have a clue what it's actually about.
- Nick Farina – Git Is Simpler Than You Think – For me, understanding the structure of the object database was my Eureka moment for Git. After that, I could start to understand not just how Git worked, but why
- Thinking about the Social Enterprise – confused of calcutta – As customers begin to reorganise businesses around themselves, there will be many problems to solve, problems of federation and interoperability and portability. Problems that have been obfuscated in the past by incumbents with vested interests. Problems that will be solved by the Social Enterprise.
- Akamai thrives in the spirit of its lost founder – The Boston Globe – Akamai is bringing its customers into cloud computing, mobile computing, data security, and the delivery of HD video. And with 95,000 servers in 72 countries, and 2,200 employees, the company delivers 15 to 30 percent of all Web traffic worldwide.
- Why Summer Vacations (and the Internet) Make You More Productive – Derek Thompson – Business – The Atlantic – People who complain about presidential vacations should get out more. Indeed, they might be better workers for it. The science of productivity tells us breaks matter more than overtime.
- Why developers should be force-fed state machines – Shopify – Hopefully, reading this text has made you more aware of state machines and you will be applying them more often when developing a web application.
- Design by Contract in Java with Google – Design by Contract is a powerful approach for building simple and robust software. Contracts for Java isn't the first attempt to bring this approach to Java, but it's a simple and powerful implementation that might become a standard tool for ensuring Java software validity.
- H-P’s One-Year Plan – WSJ.com – Dumping it is a beautiful absurdity that one analyst, Jayson Noland of Robert W. Baird & Co., described as "like McDonald's getting out of the hamburger business."
- madrobby/keymaster – keymaster.js is a simple micro-library for defining and dispatching keyboard shortcuts. It has no dependencies – keymaster.js is a simple micro-library for defining and dispatching keyboard shortcuts. It has no dependencies
Links for August 28th through September 8th