- The Web engineer’s online toolbox – I wanted to compile a list of online, Web-based tools that Web engineers can use for their work in development, testing, debugging and documentation
- Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability for Both Novice & Power Users (Jakob Nielsen’s Alertbox) – Hidden features, reduced discoverability, cognitive overhead from dual environments, and reduced power from a single-window UI and low information density. Too bad.
- Continuuity’s SDK makes building Big Data apps blazing fast – Continuuity’s SDK makes building Big Data apps blazing fast. You build apps in your IDE, then run, test and debug them locally on a fully featured single-node version of the Continuuity AppFabric
- Therapist-free therapy – Cognitive-bias modification may put the psychiatrist’s couch out of business | The Economist – A new kind of treatment may, though, mean he does not have to. Cognitive-bias modification (CBM) appears to be effective after only a few 15-minute sessions, and involves neither drugs nor the discussion of feelings. It does not even need a therapist. All it requires is sitting in front of a computer and using a program that subtly alters harmful thought patterns.
- US patent chief to software patent critics: “Give it a rest already” | Ars Technica – David Kappos, the head of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, offered a strong defense of software patents in a Tuesday address at the Center for American Progress. Kappos touted several provisions of the America Invents Act (AIA), which he argued would allow the patent office to weed out low-quality software and business method patents.
- Brian LeRoux on Mobile Web vs. Native, PhoneGap Build, Firefox OS – Brian LeRoux talks about the PhoneGap Build service, mobile web apps vs native, Facebook's switch to a native iOS app, PhoneGap adoption in emerging markets, Firefox OS, Adobe's web tools and more.
- ModelMapper – Simple, Intelligent, Object Mapping. – ModelMapper is an intelligent object mapping library that automatically maps objects to each other. It uses a convention based approach while providing a simple refactoring safe API for handling specific use cases.
- Keynote: SOA, Cloud Computing and the Semantic Web at NASA – Hook Hua discusses how semantic Web technologies are being leveraged by cloud-based SOA to improve interoperability within NASA enterprise boundaries and between NASA and external organizations.
- Infrastructure as Code – Puppet, Chef and CloudFormation – helpful for automating every infrastructure operations. – Gareth Rushgrove offers advice, code samples, and introduces tools – Puppet, Chef and CloudFormation – helpful for automating every infrastructure operations.
Links for November 16th through November 21st