- 5 Weeks of Go – In my opinion the Go designers have done an excellent job of blending the flexibility and convenience of a scripting language with the performance and safety of a strongly typed compiled language
- Google Beats Oracle Patent Claim – Google on Wednesday was cleared of charges that it had infringed Oracle's Java patents, ending the second major phase of the trial.
"Today's jury verdict that Android does not infringe Oracle’s patents was a victory not just for Google but the entire Android ecosystem," a Google spokesperson said in an emailed statement.
- JRuby Core Team Members Enebo and Nutter Moving to Red Hat – Breaking news! At JRubyConf 2012, it has just been announced that JRuby core team members Thomas Enebo and Charles Nutter are moving from Engine Yard to open source giants Red Hat.
- Palantir, the War on Terror’s Secret Weapon – Businessweek –
- Even in the red, StockTouch makes stock market look good – (One of my personal favorite apps) – StockTouch is visually very pleasing, and the ease of interacting with it makes understanding complicated financial information a snap. It’s also successful in its ability to present users with the big picture of the world of finance at any given moment
- I took Hanselman’s advice and now look at me… – About a month ago, I watched Scott Hanselman's awesome productivity talk, It's not what you read, it's what you ignore, and it spurred me to take a hard look at my daily Internet usage. As a result I've finished several projects that were previously languishing on my todo list, and I've improved my focus.
- Tech Talk: the Hedgehog Programming Language – The Palantir Finance programming language — Hedgehog as we know it — is an interpreted, statically typed, object-oriented language. With a syntax that’s based loosely on Java, it mixes roughly Java-style semantics and a few idiosyncrasies that make it a really interesting case study in language design. It’s built to be extremely efficient for batch operations on time series, which is the heavy lifting in financial analysis.
- Palantir Sysmon – lightweight platform monitoring for Java VMs – Sysmon is a lightweight platform monitoring tool. It's designed to gather performance data (CPU, disks, network, etc.) from the host running the Java VM. This data is gathered, packaged, and published via Java Management Extensions (JMX) for access using the JMX APIs and standard tools (such as jconsole or jmxtrans).
- High Scalability – High Scalability – Startups are Creating a New System of the World for IT – We are still figuring out the New System of the World for IT. What was strange just a few years ago is now commonplace. Many discoveries and innovations wait to be made, it will never be complete, but the path has been set.
Links for May 20th through May 23rd