- The Play Framework at LinkedIn | LinkedIn Engineering – We’ve been running Play 2.0 in production for several months and are now gradually rolling it out to more teams at LinkedIn. In this blog post, I'll talk about the benefits we've seen from Play, show a brief walk-through of the developer experience, and ta
- How Microsoft will change forever and thrive again | Microsoft Windows – InfoWorld – As PC prospects decline, the tech giant moves toward a hybrid, cross-platform future with opportunities in the server closet and the cloud
- Why is it that everyone wants to copy Apple’s products but nobody wants to copy being Apple? – This idea that the basis of competition is set by Apple and then the race is on to climb the trajectory of improvement is so well understood that it’s axiomatic: “It’s just the way things are.” Apple releases a product that defines a category or disrupts an industry and it becomes obvious what needs to be built.
- Netflix – From SimpleDB to Cassandra: Data Migration for a High Volume Web Application at Netflix – From SimpleDB to Cassandra: Data Migration for a High Volume Web Application at Netflix
- Smart Path Variables for Spring MVC in IntelliJ IDEA 12 – The latest release of IntelliJ IDEA brings many exciting features for Spring MVC support. In this post we would like to highlight some of them, which add even more intelligence for @RequestMapping and @PathVariable usages in your project.
- Eligible API – Build the future of health information. – The US health information systems pass records in disparate data formats. We've created simple REST APIs that normalize them for you.
- Papertrail – Hosted log management for servers, apps, and cloud services. – Papertrail helps detect, resolve, and avoid infrastructure problems using log messages. Papertrail's practicality comes from our own experience as sysadmins, developers, and entrepreneurs.
- Graylog2 – Free open source self-hosted log management and exception tracking – Graylog2 is an open source log management solution that stores your logs in ElasticSearch. It consists of a server written in Java that accepts your syslog messages via TCP, UDP or AMQP and stores it in the database.
- Profile of the Former Apple Engineers Who Designed the Nest Smart Thermostat | MIT Technology Review – Two men who created the iPod and iPhone founded Nest and injected new technology into the humble thermostat. Now they have their sights on the rest of your house.
Links for February 16th through February 21st