- Hadoop – 100x Faster. How we did it… – After two years of development, tens of thousands of lines of Java, Scala and C++ code, multiple design iterations, several releases and dozens of benchmarks later, we finally built a product that can deliver real-time performance to Hadoop customers with seamless integration and no tedious ETL
- Seven Ways To Use GitHub That Aren’t Coding – Meet the projects that prove GitHub is a collaboration tool for all stripes. – Meet the projects that prove GitHub is a collaboration tool for all stripes. GitHub is so often touted as a tool for coding projects that it’s easy to forget just how useful a resource it is for everything else.
- How to Organize the Big Data Behind the Apps: Video – Bloomberg – New Relic Founder and CEO Lew Cirne discusses the company's app data collection product with Cory Johnson on Bloomberg Television's "Bloomberg West.
- Building the social enterprise | McKinsey & Company – By following a few simple principles, leaders can realize the vast potential of social technologies to engage employees and transform organizations.
- There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things. – There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things.
- Frege is a non-strict, pure functional programming language in the spirit of Haskell that compiles to Java & runs in a JVM – Frege is a non-strict, pure functional programming language in the spirit of Haskell. It enjoys a strong static type system with type inference. Higher rank types are supported, though type annotations are required for that.
Frege programs are compiled to
- Red Hat aims for enterprise OpenStack deployment dominance – Red Hat Enterprise Linux integration could ease OpenStack adoption, but complexity and cloud competition stand in the way
- Presto: Interacting with petabytes of data at Facebook – Presto is a distributed SQL query engine optimized for ad-hoc analysis at interactive speed. It supports standard ANSI SQL, including complex queries, aggregations, joins, and window functions.
- Review: Box beats Dropbox – and all the rest – for business – Box trumps Dropbox, Egnyte, Citrix ShareFile, EMC Syncplicity, and OwnCloud with rich mix of file sync, file sharing, user management, deep reporting, and enterprise integration
Links for November 6th through November 9th