- Google, Microsoft play catch up to Amazon, add load balancing, auto-scaling to their clouds – JavaWorld – Google rolled out load balancing features to its public cloud service today, allowing customers to automatically scale up and down virtual machines to accommodate unexpected spikes in demand.
- Firefox, Chrome strengthen in-browser debugging – JavaWorld – Google has been paying attention to Web developers as well, updating its Chrome Developer Tools (DevTools), a set of Web authoring and debugging tools built into the Google Chrome browser. Perhaps the most notable update is the introduction of Workspaces, a built-in source code editor that could eliminate the small but still frequent process of flipping between an external code editor and a browser to check a newly edited Web page
- Holacracy | Social Technology for Purposeful Organization – The Holacracy governance process is not governance “of the people, by the people, and for the people” – it is governance of the organization, through the people, for the purpose. It liberates an organization to find and express its deepest creative capaci
- The management framework that propelled LinkedIn to a $20 billion company – Weiner believes getting your “boat” to the best possible destination requires a clearly-articulated vision and mission. These statements ultimately inform and invigorate a company’s strategy and objectives. Perhaps most importantly, leaders need to talk the talk and walk the walk on their professed values to keep the entire company unified and moving in the right direction.
- Twitter’s Killer New Two-Factor Solution Kicks SMS to the Curb – When you enroll, your phone generates an asymmetric 2048-bit RSA keypair, which stores the private key locally on the device and sends the public key, which Twitter stores as part of your user object in our backend store, to the server.
- SQLFiddle – A tool for easy online testing and sharing of database problems and their solutions. – SQLFiddle – A tool for easy online testing and sharing of database problems and their solutions.
- LightAdmin – Pluggable CRUD Administration Java Framework. Best alternative to scaffolding. – Pluggable data management solution for Java web applications developed in a “Rapid” manner! The primary goal of the project is to speed up application development by bringing pluggable fully operational data management back-end for JPA based applications and to relieve your codebase for more important stuff.
- Metrics, a Java library gives you unparalleled insight into what your code does in production – Metrics is a Java library which gives you unparalleled insight into what your code does in production. Metrics provides a powerful toolkit of ways to measure the behavior of critical components in your production environment
- ORMs vs SQL: The JPA Story – previously wrote about ORMs vs SQL and received a lot of reaction to it–most of it positive. Some of it was predictable ("you don't know what you're talking about (because you don't agree with me)") but one reaction from a couple of people surprised me: they took my post to mean that I was against persistence abstractions. I will now expand on those points with a specific example: the Java Persistence API ("JPA").
- Web Tracing Framework – Rich tools for instrumenting, analyzing, and visualizing web apps. – Web Tracing Framework – Rich tools for instrumenting, analyzing, and visualizing web apps. Make your app jank-free at 60fps!
Links for August 3rd through August 10th