- Amazon Says E-Books Now Top Hardcover Sales – NYTimes.com – The growth rate of Kindle sales tripled after Amazon lowered the price of the device in late June to $189 from $259, Amazon said
- Buttonwood: A mirage, not a miracle | The Economist – Analysing the recent performance of the banking industry, he concludes that it has been "as much mirage as miracle".
- Dell offers free Web browser security tool – Computerworld – Dell, through its Kace unit, is making available free Web browser security software that works by creating a protective "sandbox" on the desktop to isolate the user's desktop from malware or other harmful actions that might be encountered browsing the Web.
- GWTP: A complete model-view-presenter framework to simplify your next GWT project. – At the heart of GWTP is a model-view-presenter architecture (MVP). Although this model has been lauded as one of the best approach to GWT development, it is still hard to find an out-of-the-box solution that supports all the requirements of modern web apps. GWTP aims to provide such a solution.
- OpenStack: An Open Source Cloud Project Emerges – OpenStack, an open-source cloud platform, which hopes to compete with several proprietary cloud platforms including those being developed by Microsoft and VMware. RackSpace is spearheading the project and is donating the code that powers its Cloud Files and Cloud Servers to the OpenStack project.
- Scripting News: Are WordPress themes necessarily open source? – Python is open source, is anyone saying that any app written in Python therefore must be
- InfoQ: New Java SDK For Amazon Web Services – Amazon has announced the new AWS SDK for Java this March. The aim of the new SDK is to simplify the development of java applications that are hosted on the Amazon EC2.
- Spring 3.0.3 is Now Available | SpringSource.org – Juergen Hoeller has announced that Spring 3.0.3 is now available. This minor release addresses over 100 minor issues and catches up with some recent third-party releases
- Closing the Tech Gap | The White House – What if senior management in an Agency – or anyone in the public – could identify and monitor the performance of IT projects just as easily as they could monitor the stock market or baseball scores? That’s what the IT dashboard does — and it’s changing the way government does business
- InfoQ: Learnings from Five Years as a Skype Architect – This article summarizes six learnings from 55 months as an architecture team lead at Skype. Some of them will be technical while some will focus on softer aspects of an architects work. But first, some context.
Daily del.icio.us for July 15th through July 19th