- web development – The Definitive Guide To Forms based Website Authentication – Stack Overflow – The Definitive Guide To Forms based Website Authentication
- What’s the Fastest Web Browser in the “Real World?” Chrome. | TechCrunch – Compuware’s benchmarks division, Gomez, has just released new data from a website measurement project whose goal was to determine what the fastest web browser is in the “real world” of desktop users.
- Moving an Elephant: Large Scale Hadoop Data Migration at Facebook (2) – In 2010, Facebook had the largest Hadoop cluster in the world, with over 20 PB of storage. By March 2011, the cluster had grown to 30 PB — that’s 3,000 times the size of the Library of Congress!
- Web Architecture versus Enterprise IT – This video show how the typical enterprise IT landscape can benefit from the Web’s architecture, what Java developers need to learn to be part of this, and why the whole idea of “applications” is going to disappear.
- Calculated Risk: Dow Down 600+, S&P 500 down 6.66% – Here is a table of the largest one day declines (in percentage terms) for the S&P 500 since January 1950. There were quite a few large down days in 2008 and early 2009 … and now two in the last week (both in red).
- The joy of algorithms and NoSQL: a MongoDB example – Datablend – In this article, I try to illustrate my point, by employing NoSQL, and more specifically MongoDB, to solve a specific Chemoinformatics problem in a truly elegant and efficient way. The complete source code can be found on the Datablend public GitHub repository.
- Sencha Touch Quick Start | Learn | Sencha – Want to build something amazing with Sencha Touch? Use these simple recipes for Mac OSX, and Microsoft Windows to ensure you can get started with the framework's SDK as quickly as possible. Ideal for a rolling start at hackathons!
- An interview with Lenovo’s CIO: The IT factor – McKinsey Quarterly – Business Technology – Strategy – In a global operating model, IT must deliver the efficiencies of standardization but respect local business needs. Xiaoyan Wang describes her strategy.
- DryDrop updates App Engine site after pushing to GitHub – DryDrop is a tool that lets you host your static site on Google App Engine and update it by pushing to GitHub. Thanks to GitHub post-receive hooks your App Engine site can be updated automatically when you push new content
- Scott Adams on the Benefits of Boredom – WSJ.com – Still, it's worth keeping an eye on the link between our vanishing boredom and our lack of innovation. It's the sort of trend that could literally destroy the world without anyone realizing what the root problem is.
- Ehcache 2.5 goes beta – cool new features explained – The new release of Ehcache has gone beta less than 2 weeks ago, and there are many cool things packed in there, I wanted to talk a bit about it. If you’re using Ehcache as a memory cache or as a cache for Hibernate, you’ll find some useful information here.
Links for August 6th through August 8th