- Google Guava – Synchronization with Monitor – The Google Guava project is a collection of libraries that every Java developer should become familiar with. The Guava libraries cover I/O, collections, string manipulation, and concurrency just to name a few
- First look: Oracle NoSQL Database | Data Explosion – InfoWorld – Oracle's take on the distributed key-value data store is fast, flexible, and enterprise-grade serious
- BlueEyes is a lightweight web 3.0 framework for the Scala programming language. – A lightweight Web 3.0 framework for Scala, featuring a purely asynchronous architecture, extremely high-performance, massive scalability, high usability, and a functional, composable design.
- Martin Fowler on Polyglot Persistence | Architects Zone – What all of this means is that if you're working in the enterprise application world, now is the time to start familiarizing yourself with alternative data storage options. This won't be a fast revolution, but I do believe the next decade will see the database thaw progress rapidly.
- InfoQ: The Kotlin Programming Language – Andrey Breslav introduces the upcoming Kotlin language created by JetBrains, a general purpose JVM-based language, statically typed, object-oriented, and meant to be more concise than Java.
- iPad and iPhone Application Development (HD) – Download free content from Stanford on iTunes – Tools and APIs required to build applications for the iPhone platform using the iPhone SDK, Objective-C programming language. iPhone APIs and tools including Xcode
- How StackOverflow Scales with SQL Server (Video) with Brent Ozar – The most popular tech Q&A site in the world serves 12-14 million web pages per day with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2. They’re passionate about performance, and they’ll share the scalability lessons they learned along the way.
- Raible Designs | Play 2.0, A web framework for a new era – This was a great talk on what's new in Play 2.0. I especially like the native support for LESS and CoffeeScript and the emphasis on trying to keep developers using two tools: their editor and the browser. The sample apps look great, but the documentation look sparse. I doubt I'll get a chance to migrate my Play 1.2.3 app to 2.0 this month, but I hope to try migrating sometime before the end of the year.
- Google Music Store Chases Apple’s ITunes 8 Years Too Late: Tech – Businessweek – Google Inc. is entering the online music market almost a decade too late to pose a threat to Apple Inc., the largest seller of songs on the Web.
- Reading Needs a Platform: Introducing the New Readability – For free!! – Wherever you read — your browser, iPhone, iPad, your Amazon Kindle — Readability is going to be there. For free.
- Google Web Toolkit Blog: GWT and Dart – We view Dart as an ambitious evolution of GWT’s mission to make web apps better for end users … we anticipate working closely with the GWT developer community to explore Dart.
Links for November 15th through November 18th