- Docker for the Fedora Project: an interview with Alexander Larsson | opensource.com – Recently, Red Hat and Docker announced they'd be working together on several projects. One of them is packaging Docker for the Fedora Project: a Red Hat sponsored, volunteer-driven, rock-solid Linux operating system
- Docker will change everything #iagreecompletely – Docker is an open-source engine that automates the deployment of any application as a lightweight, portable, self-sufficient container that will run virtually anywhere
- IntelliJ IDEA 13 Brings a Full Bag of Goodies to Android Developers – At JetBrains we’re always listening to developers, and Android developers are no exception. Based on this tight feedback loop, we’ve made a long list of changes to our award-winning IDE which will hopefully make development of Android apps an even bigger p
- Leveraging PhoneGap within Sencha Touch – With the release of Sencha Touch 2.3 and Sencha Cmd 4, creating your cross platform hybrid applications has never been easier. PhoneGap is now a key feature in the Sencha Touch mobile workflow integrating seamlessly into the newly released, NodeJS based, P
- Mobile dev chops? Cloud infrastructure skills? You’re hired! – Hiring more contractors than full-time staff, placing data center and cloud expertise over more conventional IT skills, emphasizing mobile rather than desktop development, and more fine-grained ways to find the right people for the right jobs — these are
- Cause for hope: Windows 8 gets the heave-ho in the next wave of updates – Windows might actually become relevant again if rumors about the next version(s) of Windows are to be believed
- The same app 4 times: PHP vs Python vs Ruby vs Clojure – Here's a toy program I wrote implemented in PHP, Python, Ruby, and Clojure. I hope it's helpful for someone who knows at least one of those and wants to learn another.
- Evernote’s CTO on Your Biggest Security Worries From 3 to 300 Employees – Evernote’s CTO gave an exclusive talk at the recent First Round CTO Summit about security and the right way for growing startups to stay safe without needlessly expending valuable resources.
- HotSpot JVM garbage collection options cheat sheet (v3) – HotSpot JVM options cheatsheet
- websocketd – Turn any application that uses STDIO/STDOUT into a WebSocket server – websocketd is a small command line tool that will wrap an existing command line interface program, and allow it to be accessed via a WebSocket. It provides a quick mechanism for allowing web-applications to interact with existing command line tools.
- Fast-growing IT automation startup Opscode raises $32M, changes name to Chef – In fact, a large percentage of companies utilizing Amazon Web Services also are turning to Chef as an "onramp" to the cloud. Essentially, it allows those organizations to ramp up more quickly with cloud services. “Chef is actually extremely simpatico with
- Announcing Suro: Backbone of Netflix’s Data Pipeline – Suro, which we are proud to announce as our latest offering as part of the NetflixOSS family, serves as the backbone of our data pipeline. It consists of a producer client, a collector server, and plugin framework that allows events to be dynamically filte
- Google Ups The Ante Against Amazon’s Cloud, And That’s A Good Thing For Business – Google wants to leapfrog Amazon’s dominance in cloud computing by making it available to everyone.
- Java 8 first steps with Lambdas and Streams – Java 8 will bring the largest changes on the platform since the introduction of Generics in version 1.5. It’s on the time to look at some of the most important innovations.
- Banks need to take on Amazon and Google or die – FT.com – Technology has already transformed many industries. Next in line is banking. In two or three years, only 5 per cent of consumer interaction will be through branches. The rules have changed and a new league of competitors is emerging.
- VoltDB to Provide Database to Eagle for Big Data – WatersTechnology – Eagle Investment Systems has agreed to distribute the in-memory relational database from Billerica, Massachusetts-based VoltDB for delivering real-time analytics and decisioning capabilities to clients.
Links for December 9th through December 11th