- Oracle’s Ellison spills beans on upcoming SAP HANA competitor and Database 12c plans – Oracle Database 12.1c will be a "columnar, compressed, high-speed, in-memory database," Ellison said during Oracle's quarterly earnings call Thursday. "One reason I was confident SAP HANA could never compete with Oracle was because of 12.1c."
- In Head-Hunting, Big Data May Not Be Such a Big Deal – NYTimes.com – I don’t think you’ll ever replace human judgment and human inspiration and creativity because, at the end of the day, you need to be asking questions like, O.K., the system says this. Is this really what we want to do? Is that the right thing?
- Application Resilience in a Service-oriented Architecture – Programming – Engineering resilience into an application is critical to achieving fault and latency tolerance. Operational considerations and support by client applications are equally important. These principles can be applied in many different ways and approaches will differ by language, technology stack, and personal preference but hopefully our experiences, and perhaps even our open source software, can inspire improved resilience in your systems.
- Nginx for Developers: An Introduction – After struggling with it myself for a bit, I finally got down the basics of how to work with nginx, and wanted to share it so that other developers would have an easier time picking it up.
- Confessions of a Ruby Developer Whose Heart was Stolen by Scala – Confessions of a Ruby Developer Whose Heart was Stolen by Scala
- Using Native APIs in Sencha Desktop Packager | Blog | Sencha – Sencha Desktop Packager lets you to take an existing web application and deploy it as a desktop application. You can also integrate with the native platform by using additional APIs to create menus, show file dialogs, and access the file system. In this bl
- Deploy Java Apps With Docker = Awesome | Atlassian Blogs – What I liked about Docker is how responsive and quick it is and the insta-repeatability that it delivers. Spawning up a new container takes literally the same time it takes to run the command on bare metal. It’s a joy to behold!
- Review: 4 free, open source management GUIs For MongoDB – In this article, we'll examine four open source MongoDB GUI management tools:
- 11 hot improvements to Java EE 7 – InfoWorld – HTML5, simplified JMS, an updated Web Profile — Java Enterprise Edition 7 lays the foundation for a more cloud-centric Java
- Using Hibernate Frameworks: What Are the Best Practices? – In this post, I want to focus on Hibernate and which best practices you should follow when using it in your Java EE application.
Links for June 13th through June 21st