- The busy Java developer’s guide to Scala: Scala and servlets – In this article in the The busy Java developer's guide to Scala series, Ted Neward begins a tour of Scala in the real world by examining how Scala can interact with the core Servlet API and perhaps even improve it a little.
- FrontPage – Dropbox Wiki – The Dropbox Wiki is your designated resource for the more advanced features (and creative uses) that Dropbox has to offer. Like all wikis, this will be constantly changing, and we welcome any contributions you make.
- Red Hat 3Q up 20 pct, but revenue below estimate – BusinessWeek – Red Hat Inc. on Monday reported a 20 percent increase in profit for the third quarter as budget-conscious companies opted for the software provider's open-source Linux operating system over more expensive proprietary systems.
- Asia’s wounded giants | Suddenly vulnerable | The Economist – Asia’s two big beasts are shivering. India’s economy is weaker, but China’s leaders have more to fear
- Management guru: Warren Buffett | Warren Buffett | The Economist – Buffett is known as “the Sage of Omaha”, after the town where he was born and where he has spent most of his life, and much is made of his small-town homespun values. He likes to play the ukulele and he plays bridge (with Bill Gates, among others) in his modest home in Omaha
- JavaLobby’s Top 10 Articles of 2008 | Javalobby – As a way of looking back at how the year has been on JavaLobby, we've collected the top 10 most read articles. It paints a clear picture about what is important to you, and gives us some hints as to what we should be covering in 2009
- Dustin’s Software Development Cogitations and Speculations: 2008: Year of the Java Persistence API – It appears that one of the most popular themes in Java development in 2008 has been the Java Persistence API (JPA). I base this statement on the recent announcements that JPA-focused articles appeared in the Top Ten lists of articles for both Oracle Technology Network (OTN) and JavaLobby.
- Data Platform Insider : Ultimate guide for upgrading to SQL Server 2008 – Last week, our SQL Server engineering team in association with Solid Quality Mentors released an unprecedented 490-page free whitepaper called SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Technical Reference Guide that provides in-depth information on how to upgrade to SQL Server 2008
- Scrum in under 10 minutes video | Agile Software Development – Hamid Shojaee from Axosoft published an excellent and funny video on the basics of Scrum. In under 8 minutes of animation Hamid describes most of the basic concepts. I don’t agree with everything (in particular I I would like to see the release burndown chart described), but you can only explain so much in under 10 minutes and every Scrum installation is different anyway. Have a look and enjoy!
- Stax Networks Launches: Google App Engine For Java – Stax is built on top of Amazon EC2 and allows developers to create, text and deploy Java applications without having to build out their own physical infrastructure.
- Database Normalisation :: BlackWasp Software Development – The sixteenth part of the SQL Server Programming Fundamentals tutorial discusses the concept of database normalisation. Normalisation is a database design technique that minimises duplication of information, reducing the risk of introducing data errors.
- 10 Steps to Learn a New Coding Language Fast – NETTUTS – Learning a new language can seem like a daunting task. However, as it is with all types of learning, there are certain techniques and practices that will help you learn the language faster and more efficiently. Here are 10 of the best practices that aspiring programmers can use to quickly start programming in a new language
- Kill Your Database – Rather, save your database with Terracotta. Relational database are valuable for many things, but serving as the cost-effective scalability backbone of high-load web applications isn't one of them. Is your database suffering under the weight of your application?
- YouTube – Top Gear Tesla review – Top Gear reviews Tesla, smokes Lotus Elise
Daily del.icio.us for December 17th through December 22nd