- 20 tips for building modern sites while supporting old versions of IE – 20 tips for building modern sites while supporting old versions of IE
- modern.IE: Testing made easier in Internet Explorer | modern.IE | Microsoft – Microsoft Launches Modern.IE To Help Developers Test Their Web Apps For Legacy And Modern Versions Of IE
- How to Build a Raspberry Pi File Server – Tutorials Blog – So I found yet another cool use for a Raspberry Pi. You can actually use it as a file server, or more accurately a controller for a file server. All you need is your Pi and a nice external drive and you can serve files to anyone on your network. It’s prett
- Chinese Hackers Infiltrate New York Times Computers – NYTimes.com – For the last four months, Chinese hackers have persistently attacked The New York Times, infiltrating its computer systems and getting passwords for its reporters and other employees.
- Functional thinking: Why functional programming is on the rise – Java developers should learn functional paradigms now, even if they have no immediate plans to move to a functional language such as Scala or Clojure. Over time, all mainstream languages will become more functional; Neal Ford explores the reasons why in this installment.
- Our First Node.js App: Backbone on the Client and Server – Airbnb Engineering – Here at Airbnb, we've been looking curiously at Node.js for a long time now. We've used it for odds and ends, such as the build process for some of our libraries, but we hadn't built anything production-scale. Until now.
- Hortonworks Joins OpenStack Foundation | Hortonworks – Hortonworks, a leading contributor to Apache Hadoop, today announced it has joined the OpenStack Foundation, which promotes the development, distribution and adoption of the OpenStack cloud operating system. By contributing to the OpenStack ecosystem
- 64 GB Surface Pro will only have 23 GB free – Marco.org – This is deceptive enough advertising that the FTC should consider taking action. As tablets become more computer-like and mobile OSes get larger, this is only going to get worse.
- Sequel Pro – MySQL Database Management for Mac OS X – Sequel Pro is a fast, easy-to-use Mac database management application for working with MySQL databases.
- Cross-domain Ajax with Cross-Origin Resource Sharing – Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) is a W3C Working Draft that defines how the browser and server must communicate when accessing sources across origins. The basic idea behind CORS is to use custom HTTP headers to allow both the browser and the server to know enough about each other to determine if the request or response should succeed or fail.
- Considering MySQL? Use something else. Already on MySQL? Migrate. – Inevitably, someone's going to come along and tell me how wrong I am and how MySQL is just fine as a database system. These people are everywhere, and they mean well too, and they are almost all wrong.
- Redesigning Google: how Larry Page engineered a beautiful revolution | The Verge – We went to Google looking for the person responsible for the new design direction, but the strange answer we got is that such a person doesn't exist. Instead, thanks to a vision laid out by a small team of Google designers, each product team is finding its way to a consistent and forward-looking design language thanks to a surprising process.
Links for January 26th through January 31st