- State of the Art – Unify the Phone Numbers and All Else Follows – NYTimes.com – If Google search revolutionized the Web, and Gmail revolutionized free e-mail, then one thing’s for sure: Google Voice, unveiled Thursday, will revolutionize telephones.
- Microblogging Will Marginalize Corporate Email « I’m Not Actually a Geek – This use case is what promises to dramatically increase communications among employees. As we’re seeing with Twitter’s explosive growth, it takes time for people to grok why they should microblog. But once they “get it”, it takes off.
- A special report on entrepreneurship: Time for entrepreneurship | An idea whose time has come | The Economist – The triumph of entrepreneurship is driven by profound technological change. A trio of inventions—the personal computer, the mobile phone and the internet—is democratising entrepreneurship at a cracking pace. Today even cash-strapped innovators can reach markets that were once the prerogative of giant organisations.
- Amazon, Microsoft improve their cloud computing game | InfoWorld | News | 2009-03-13 | By Bernard Golden, CIO.com – Amazon has introduced EC2 Reserved Instances, which allow you to obtain a reduced hourly fee for an upfront payment that varies according to which level of EC2 server you use.
- Cisco’s expected server splash raises data center ruckus | Business Tech – CNET News – Cisco Systems on Monday is widely expected to launch network servers in a move that will put it in the virtualization business and potentially at odds with players like Hewlett-Packard and IBM.
- ACM Queue: A Conversation with Alan Kay | Lambda the Ultimate – I fear — as far as I can tell — that most undergraduate degrees in computer science these days are basically Java vocational training.
- Your Guide to Most Useful Bookmarklets – Now that you know the benefits of using a bookmarklet and how easy it is to add one to your own browser bookmarks, let me share some of my favorite bookmarklets that are both useful and powerful:
- Google Voice – Google Voice is a service that gives you one number for all your phones, voicemail that is easy as email, and many enhanced calling features like call blocking and screening, voicemail transcripts, call conferencing, international calls, and more.
- The Post Redirect Get Pattern – Andy Pemberton – There’s a long-standing, accepted pattern for handling form submissions in web applications; it’s usually called the post redirect get pattern. The goal of the pattern is to prevent the payload of a HTTP POST request from being stored in the browser history.
Daily del.icio.us for March 11th through March 14th