- VMware and Verizon team up for mobile virtualization — Tech News and Analysis – Employees who want to combine their work phone and their personal phone will soon be able to do so with the aid of the VMware Horizon software on their phones
- Good to Know – Google – Advice for staying more secure on the web and an overview of some of the security tools that Google offers.
- OTN TechCast – Oracle SOA Governance demystified for Architects (SOA Governance@work) – Cathy and Bob discuss why SOA Governance is important to different aspects of IT including on-premise applications and the cloud.
- Free JSON API to instantly check the spam score of your email messages – Have you ever wanted to process the spam score of incoming or outgoing email messages, but didn’t want the hassle of managing SpamAssassin? Now you can use our lightweight JSON API and instantly integrate spam score processing in your app
- Logging the cloud with SimpleDB – Peecho – The solution? Store logs in SimpleDB. Amazon SimpleDB is a highly available, flexible and scalable non-relational data store. It is perfect for this situation. It is eventually consistent, read optimized, highly available and extremely durable.
- A Byteman Tutorial | inject side-effects into a simple Java program – You use Byteman to change how a Java program operates without having to edit the source code and recompile it. Actually, you can even use Byteman to modify a running application without needing to stop and restart it. Byteman will happily redefine the behaviour of both application classes and JVM runtime classes like String,Thread etc.
- Coding Horror: Serving at the Pleasure of the King – If you choose to deliver software in the Apple ecosystem, this is simply the tradeoff you've chosen to make. Apple developers serve at the pleasure of the king.
- InfoQ: Can the Kanban Method Avoid Becoming another Management Fad? – Benjamin Mitchell believes that Kanban risks to become a fad if it does not cover gaps related to experiencing embarrassment and threat, proposing a solution based on the double-loop learning model.
- Spring Framework 3.1 RC1 released | SpringSource Team Blog – It is my pleasure to announce that the first Spring Framework 3.1 release candidate has – finally – been released this week! We have been working on this release for several months, completing our milestone work and recently adding support for Java SE 7 and for Hibernate 4.0 to the feature list
- InfoQ: New in Google Cloud: SDK 1.5.5, Cloud SQL, Cloud Storage, Prediction API and Premier Accounts – Google Cloud Services has announced a new version of the App Engine SDK (1.5.5) -the frontend request deadline has been raised from 30 sec. to 60 sec., Python 2.7-, Cloud SQL, Cloud Storage and Prediction API are out of Code Labs, and Premier Accounts.
- Web 2.0 Expo: LinkedIn’s Big Data Lessons Learned – The BrainYard – InformationWeek – Former LinkedIn chief scientist DJ Patil shares advice on turning large-scale data into useful products.
- Scott Adams on Taxes, the Wealthy and a Return to the Ocean – WSJ.com – Driving the Rich Into the Sea. Megaship ahoy! To escape higher taxes, the wealthy could relocate…to open waters
Links for October 12th through October 19th