- JAMP: an ultra portable PHP, web server and database stack in Java – This tutorial describes how to set up the PHP and database stack in the Jetty web server. First we set up a web application (webapp for short) in Java which can interpret .php files using Quercus. Then we setup the H2 database engine. Last, we setup the part where PHP can connect to H2 while actually thinking it is MySQL that it's connecting to (using H2's MySQL compatibility mode, because PHP does not have support for H2). Here we go!
- Lessons Learned in Deploying PaaS – Colin Humphreys discusses PaaS: why they chose a certain PaaS solution for their customers, PaaS in ALM, lessons learned from their experiences and what to expect from different PaaS vendors.
- Announcing Inbox: Asana’s Next Step Towards A Post-Email World at Asana Blog – Email is the system we rely on most to be productive, but it has become a counter-productivity tool.
- The Netflix Tech Blog: Lessons Netflix Learned from the AWS Storm – Netflix made the decision to move from the data center to the cloud several years ago . While it’s easy and common to blame the cloud for outages because it’s outside of our control, we found that our overall availability over the past several years has steadily improved
- A software architect lives to serve the engineering team — not the other way around. – A software architect lives to serve the engineering team — not the other way around.
- Oracle adopts the popular R language for the enterprise and big data – Oracle has adopted R as a language and environment to support Statisticians, Data Analysts, and Data Scientists in performing statistical data analysis and advanced analytics, as well as generating sophisticated graphics
- If You Don’t Prioritize Your Life, Someone Else Will – Greg McKeown – Harvard Business Review – We may not develop Gandhian levels of courage immediately, but surely we can do better than having to look back on our lives and regret that we lived by someone else's priorities.
- Index Shows iOS Programming Language Now In Top 3 As Mobile Development Booms | TechCrunch – The future for enterprise vendors will look more like what CloudFoundry and OpenShift are doing. But the overall driver for growth will be the apps that developers build. In that respect, I expect Objective-C will continue to grow in popularity across the enterprise landscape as the mobile market continues to boom.
- REST, And Now for Something Completely Different – Mike Amundsen offers a deeper explanation of REST, going beyond URIs, HTTP or web pages to the architectural style REST provides and the 6 constraints imposed by REST
- Java 8 vs Scala: a Feature Comparison –
- Lance Walton on Scala in the Enterprise – Lance Walton discusses Scala in the enterprise, educating developers in functional programming and whether Scala's binary compatibility issues between releases are a problem, and much more.
Links for July 5th through July 8th