- How to clone Wikipedia and index it with Solr « Nimble Books LLC – I have (finally) successfully cloned Wikipedia and indexed it with Solr. In the spirit of documenting my work and helping others, here are the key steps along the way.
- Redux: Inspecting HotSpot JVM Options – There is enormous scope for coarse and fine grained control of JVM behaviour. The option -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal allows comprehensive reporting of the options and their values. The available options vary by build and JVM type (server or client). Recording and auditing this output is an important step in any Java benchmarking or continuous monitoring exercise
- DB Sanity – database consistency and reporting application – DB Sanity performs checks on a database for verifying data consistency and correctness of application deployments or production data. It is invoked by the command line and creates an HTML report with a summary and listings of faulty database entries.
- javasimon – Java Simon – Simple Monitoring API – Java Simon is a simple monitoring API that allows you to follow and better understand your application. Monitors (familiarly called Simons) are placed directly into your code and you can choose whether you want to count something or measure time/duration.
- InfoQ: ‘Denali’ No More: SQL Server 2012 Announced, Focuses on BI and Big Data – At the recent PASS Summit, Microsoft announced that the next version of SQL Server, formerly known by the codename "Denali," will be called SQL Server 2012. Other products were granted official names as well, including Power View (formerly "Crescent") and SQL Server Data Tools (formerly "Juneau").
- » Introducing: Rocketcharts, Open-source HTML5 Financial/Statistical Charts Chase B. Gale – Introducing: Rocketcharts, Open-source HTML5 Financial/Statistical Charts
- Obituary: printf("goodbye, Dennis"); | The Economist – All of his technological miracles, along with a billion others sold by Apple's competitors, would be merely pretty receptacles were it not for Dennis Ritchie. It is to him that they owe their digital souls, the operating systems and programs which make them tick.
- Android and IDEA for the Eclipse Refugee » Canoo RIA Blog – Now that IntelliJ IDEA 11 EAP (Early Access) has a visual layout window, there is almost no reason for me to write my Android apps in anything else. I wrote this post to help other users along their way when converting between the IDEs.
- InfoQ: How REST replaced SOAP on the Web: What it means to you – Meanwhile, the web has essentially become a service oriented platform, where information and functionality is a available through an API; the Web succeeded where the enterprise largely failed.
- How to develop and monitor Thread Pool Services by using Spring | Online Technology Vision – Thread Pools are very important to execute synchronous & asynchronous processes. This article shows how to develop and monitor Thread Pool Services by using Spring. Creating Thread Pool has been explained via two alternative methods
- InfoQ: Simple Made Easy – Rich Hickey emphasizes simplicity’s virtues over easiness’, showing that while many choose easiness they may end up with complexity, and the better way is to choose easiness along the simplicity path.
Links for October 20th through October 23rd