- Google Co-Founder Has Genetic Code Linked to Parkinson’s – NYTimes.com – Sergey Brin, a Google co-founder, said Thursday that he has a gene mutation that increases his likelihood of contracting Parkinson’s disease, a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system that can impair speech, movement and other functions
- Ext JS – Ext GWT 1.1 Released – We are pleased to announce the release of Ext GWT 1.1. This release is packed full of new features and components. Ext GWT 1.1 is a recommended upgrade for all Ext GWT 1.0 users. Although a minor release, Ext GWT introduces many exciting new features to help build your rich internet application. With this release, Ext GWT shortens the feature set gap between Ext JS.
- Was ‘Adult Supervision’ Needed On Wall Street? : NPR – The bankruptcy of financial services giant Lehman Brothers and the 500-point drop in the stock market on Sept. 15 have sent shock waves through the financial community. Michael Greenberger, a former director at the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, tells Terry Gross that the government's decision to bail out AIG is a sign that the economy is "teetering on the brink."
- Obama airs unusual economy ad – Mike Allen – Politico.com – Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) is airing an unusual two-minute TV ad about the economy, calling for “shared responsibility” and “real regulation” to rein in an “anything-goes culture on Wall Street.”
The ad is part of the campaign’s effort to respond confidently and convincingly to this weekend’s financial meltdown
- Why Obama’s Health Plan Is Better – WSJ.com – Everyone agrees our health-care financing system must change. But only one candidate, Barack Obama, has real change we can believe in.
- Sun Launches Open Suite for SWIFT for Financial Institutions and Corporate Treasuries – Sun Microsystems, Inc. today announced the launch of the Sun Open Suite for SWIFT, a complete end-to-end software and hardware infrastructure solution to help corporate treasuries and financial institutions kick-start fast and secure SWIFTNet integration
- Ext JS – Ext JS at The Ajax Experience – Come join Jack Slocum and I for two developer focused sessions, "Hands On Ext" and “Advanced CSS and Theming of Ext JS” at The Ajax Experience at the end of this month. Feel free to follow along with your laptop or watch as we build an application and demonstrate how to create a custom theme in each hour long session.
- Windows Games Run Faster on Linux than on Windows Vista / From Out There / rca / Fellows / The Fellowship – Fellowship of FSFE – These benchmarks say that GNU/Linux with Cedega or WINE runs the tested games 33 – 40% faster than Windows Vista. 40%! That's not just the fraction of fps that the hardcore crowd lusts for, that's a significant number.
So the best modern platform to play Windows games on is not Windows but GNU/Linux
- Stack Overflow – Stack Overflow is a collaboratively edited question and answer site for programmers — regardless of platform or language. Jump in and share your software engineering expertise!
- The short – but eventful – life of Ike – The Big Picture – Boston.com – In its brief lifespan of only 13 days, Hurricane Ike wreaked great deal of havoc. Affecting several countries including Cuba, Haiti, and the United States, Ike is blamed for approximately 114 deaths (74 in Haiti alone), and damages that are still being tallied, with estimates topping $10 billion. Many shoreline communities of Galveston, Texas were wiped from the map by the winds, storm surge and the walls of debris pushed along by Ike – though Galveston was spared the level of disaster it suffered in 1900.
Daily del.icio.us for September 15th through September 19th