- Manage Creativity in Your Company by Dedicating Time | Inc.com – How can we afford to put our business on hold for a month to "mess around" with new ideas? How can we afford not to? We would never have had such a burst of creative energy had we stuck to business as usual.
- Typesafe Raises $14M From Shasta, Greylock, And Juniper To Commercialize Scala | TechCrunch – Typesafe allows developers to effectively develop robust applications that address the dual challenges of large-scale distributed “cloud computing” applications and massively multicore hardware platforms while still integrating seamlessly with the Java infrastructure,
- DeftJS – Essential extensions for enterprise web and mobile application development with Ext JS and Sencha Touch – DeftJS enhances Ext JS and Sencha Touch’s APIs with additional building blocks that enable large development teams to rapidly build enterprise scale applications, leveraging best practices and proven patterns discovered by top RIA developers at some of the best consulting firms in the industry.
- Future of Data Architecture: NoSQL, Big Data, Linked Data and the Cloud – In this panel, Siddharth Anand, Dwight Merriman, Ashish Thusoo, Damien Katz, Tom Wilkie and Akmal Chaudhri (moderator) answer questions on NoSQL from the audience.
- Introducing WireMock – an HTTP service stubbing library – WireMock is a tool that allows HTTP exchanges to be stubbed and verified. It does this by creating an actual HTTP endpoint, rather than by stubbing or mocking the HTTP client class. It can be used directly from within JUnit (or your weapon of choice), run as a standalone process or deployed into a container with the aim of covering off a wide range of testing scenarios.
- How big data can transform healthcare | opensource.com – Modern improvements in health and healthcare systems allow individuals to further amass and analyze data, and unlock even more secrets about human health and healthcare.
- AppFog And Rackspace Want To Break Your App Out Of Amazon’s Walled Garden | TechCrunch – AppFog has only been available on AWS’ infrastructure, but CEO Lucas Carlson has been promising a one click migrate between clouds for a while now. What AppFog announced today is that its service would be available through the Rackspace Cloud Tools Marketplace.
- Solving the Two Week Problem by Developing in the Cloud | OpenShift by Red Hat – We didn’t create a cloud-based IDE because it was novel. We did it because the consistency of the development experience is orders of magnitude better than current options. It’s only getting better from here. With our enterprise-class foundation in OpenShift, the Cloud9 platform is setting the stage for the future of development. Start your next application today at c9.io.
- Listening to Complainers Is Bad for Your Brain – Exposure to nonstop negativity actually impairs brain function. Here's how to defend yourself.
- 6 things I do to be consistently happy – One of the most important things I’ve learned during this time is that I perform the best when I’m happy. It really does change everything. If I’m happy then I’m more productive when hacking code, I’m better at answering support, and I find it easier to stay focused.
- Font Awesome, the iconic font designed for use with Twitter Bootstrap – Font Awesome 2.0 – the iconic font designed for use with Twitter Bootstrap
Links for August 19th through August 23rd